The Popfic Fairy Tale Remix Challenge
Welcome to TPFTRC! The onceuponaremix community will provide participants updates, reminders, etc. This initial post is for sign-ups to the Challenge, see the Community Info for more details.
So, The Popfic Fairy Tale Remix Challenge:
Take your favorite fairly tale or childhood story, and popcast it. *NSYNC
as the Shoemaker's Elves? Britney as Sleeping Beauty? Eminem as the Beast? The Backstreet Boys as the Town Musicians of Bremen? Go for it. And while you're changing a few details to make characters fit the pop personalities, go ahead and remix the whole thing. Tell your chosen story from a different point of view, from a unique perspective, non-linearly... ..or any other funky new way you can come up with. The following is a list of potential stories, comment to claim the one you'd like to popcast and remix... ..or suggest another that's not on the list. The only limitation is that the story be "traditional" fiction... ..a fairly tale, fable, myth, legend, folktale, etc. Just provide a link to a site that describes the original story (or an online version of the story in its entirety) so readers can see what your remix is based on. Chosen stories will be struck out
on the list when taken, and suggested stories not from the original list will be added complete with link, already struck out. Please note that all comments to this entry will be screened to maintain anonyminity; if more than one person requests to sign up for the same story, the assignment will go to the person who requested it first (see Rules, below).The List:
So, once your sign up has been approved and your story struck from the list, remix it! Do whatever you'd like; you're already changing the characters to popcast it, change the setting, the time, the place... ..as long as you're telling the same story in essence. Maybe your Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Handsome?) is a modern tale, a corporate heir raised in the seclusion of a home-schooled penthouse until the day the corrupt Executive Board's industrial assassin landed them in a coma that only True Love's Kiss can provide the strength to wake from... Or you could tell the story of Snow White from a unique POV, maybe from the Magic Mirror's perspective, or perhaps as the woodland creatures who doted on Snow White saw things? The possibilities are as endless as the list of potential stories.
1) Your story must be based on an existing tale, with a link to that tale in your sign up comment (Wikipedia links are perfectly acceptable, even encouraged, though not every traditional tale ever told has a Wiki description, of course.)
2) Your story must be a remix as well as popcast. This is easier than it sounds; the only requirement is that it be more than a simple cut & paste of various sparkly names replacing the original character names. The precise nature of that "more" is up to you.
3) The MAIN character(s) of the story must be popcast, but not every character in the story has to be. If you're not comfortable casting a Real Person in the villain's role, don't bother. If a minor supporting character works better as the original from your source tale, go ahead and use them. But unexpected cameos filling those roles are always fun, too.
4) Popcasting is required, remixing is required, slash is not. But it's certainly welcome, even encouraged. There were a lot of princesses and innocent children in those old traditional tales; don't be afraid to have some fun with the popcasting and creative use of characterization.
5) Story sign ups are on a first-come, first-serve basis. HOWEVER, sign up comments are screened, so if you would like to include a summary of your remix idea, two versions of a single story may be allowed, if both mixes sound intriguing enough. Summaries are not required with sign up, just appreciated.
6) Participants are limited to a single story, so the Challenge can have the most participants possible. If you'd like to suggest more than one story you'd be willing to remix, feel free; just remember that you'll only be given one story from your list of requests.
7) Due Dates: The final due date is September 16th; a Master List will be posted in the community on the 17th. Sign ups shall remain open until September 1st.
8) Posting: Completed stories are free to be posted where- and when-ever, as long as a link is provided in the community (completed stories can be posted in the community, too.) On September 17th, the Master List will be posted with links to all of the stories. All completed stories will also be hosted on a separate site, formatted to a uniform look, unless the author does not want their work hosted elsewhere.
Any questions? Feel free to ask them here, all comments to this post are screened.
That's It! Have fun! Remember, a "remix" can be almost anything, new POV, new setting, modern retelling... ..whatever works for you. Comments are screened for anonymity; the list will be updated to show which stories have been taken, but not by whom.Stay tuned for further details!